Everyone who joins Yoga thinks that yoga will make their body flexible, increase their muscle strength, and tone their body.
Yoga is not only about body but also about balance, focus, awareness, experiencing peace of mind and increasing the inner strength.
Yoga is a science, science of not only physical but spiritual well being.
Yoga takes you into the present moment. The only place where life exists.
Nobody is actually living in the present moment all the times. But most of the times either we are worried about the future or thinking about the past and forget to be in the moment.
There is a quote by Buddha
What is meant by to be engrossed in the moment?
It means, if I am eating food, I enjoy the whole process of eating. My entire attention and focus and also my entire gratitude is merged in the process of eating. I am not doing it mechanically. Also a short prayer goes out into the universe for all those hungry.
Being mindful and being in the moment doesn’t require fancy training:
Whatever we do, we should focus on doing that thing. Pay attention to every aspect of what we are doing. Observe and notice jumping thoughts of mind and bring your mind back to the task.
When we are mindful we become more productive, enjoy friends and family more and enjoy life to the fullest.
Techniques to be in the moment:-
- Where am I right now? Am I here?
- Make this simple but profound question a habit. Physical body is always in present moment unlike mind which wants to be anywhere else. We can use it as a vehicle to come back to the present moment. Most people are forgetful. The opposite of forgetfulness is mindfulness. “Mindfulness is when you are truly here mind and body together.”
- Do one thing at a time. When walking walk, when eating eat, Pay attention to what you are doing. When you are present, your life energy is infused into all that you do.
- Do it slowly.
- Do less.
- Spend time doing nothing just in silence.
- Focus on breathing along with paying attention to the rise and fall of your belly by putting a book on it and watch it rise and fall.
- Make cooking and cleaning a meditative technique for concentration.
If you are feeling anxious, you are
living in the future
If you are at peace you are
living in the present.
Whatever you do, don’t let past move your mind, do not let future disturb you, because the past is no more and the future is not yet. To live in the memories, to live in the imagination – is to live in non-existential, that means you are missing what is existential.