Also commonly known as “Alsi seeds” and linseeds. They are basically food and fibre crop, which are good for weight loss, healthy heart, good healthy and clear skin, balance hormone, good digestion.Flaxseed have lignan that are unique fibre polyphenols found in plants. These lignan support the growth of probiotics in the gut and also has an anti-viral and anti- bacterial properties which reduce the number or severity of colds and flus. It is also available as flaxseed oil or linseed oil, which will act like an anti- inflammatory agent and help the skin to repair, so it works to cure acne.
- Flaxseed are high in both soluble and insoluble fibre which can support colon detoxification, fat loss and reduce sugar craving.
- They are shown to lower the blood cholesterol levels. Lignin in flaxseed shown to benefit menopausal and menstruating women by helping maintain regular cycles.
- Another health benefit is the seeds are gluten free so it can be used as a grain free option for cooking in combination with coconut flour or Bengal gram flour (besan).
In 100 gm of serving, flaxseed contain high level of omega 3, omega 6 and omega 9 fatty acids, protein , fibre, vitamin B1 and B6, iron, anti- inflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-viral properties, and minerals.
10 gm of flaxseed contain 1 gm of water soluble fibre which will help lower the blood cholesterol levels and 3 gms of insoluble fibre which will help prevent constipation. Also rich in potassium, magnesium and phosphorus.
How to consume flaxseed??
- Max upto 5 tbsp-6 tbsp/ day is recommended. You can incorporate ground flaxseed in your daily diet. High fibre content will make you feel satiate for longer.
- You can add 1 tbsp of flaxseed powder into your milk smoothies, shakes, yogurt morning cereals, wheat pan cakes, muffin to add extra 2 gm protein to your meal. You can also add it to your salad or soups.
Book Free Consultation with : Best Dietician in Delhi for Weight Loss