They are the stone fruit of walnut tree. One of the world’s healthiest food, as it is nutrient dense with protein and essential fatty acids, carbohydrates, vitamins and essential minerals. The shell of the fruit that encloses the kernel is hard and two halved which has a crinkly appearance like that of the brain that is why it is considered to be “Brain Food”.
Unlike other nuts, walnuts and walnut oil are high in Poly-unsaturated fatty acids, particularly alpha-linoleic acid (14%) and Linoleic acid (58%), although it does contain oleic acids (13%) of total fats.
The minerals found in them includes calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, zinc, copper, selenium.
Vitamins include vitamin C, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, folate, vitamin B12,vitamin E, vitamin K and Vitamin A.
It’s Health Benefits:
- Walnuts helps in Reduction of bad cholesterol, control of Diabetes, improvement in metabolism, aid in weight management, Boost mood and Bone Health, Skin care, Regulate Sleep.
- They contain omega-3 fatty acids, coupled with iodine and selenium ensures proper functioning of brain.
- These increases calcium absorption and deposition, while reducing urinary calcium excretion.
- Their consumption lowers bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases the level of good cholesterol (HDL). Daily consumption of 25 gm of walnuts would provide 90% of the recommended daily intake (RDI) of EFAs, which in turn lowers the risk of high blood pressure and heart diseases.
According to certain studies, walnuts can be supportive in preventing heart disease but not individually responsible.
- They are also considered as power-food as it increases the stamina.
- Eating walnuts at night before going to bed gives you a sound sleep.
Book Free Consultation with : Best Dietician in Delhi for Weight Loss