You all must have heard about the campaign where Akshay Kumar is a part for menstruation(Mahavari) this women’s day special.
Every woman has the right to safe menstruation days. One of the major and most common disease related to menstruation is PCOS. So, it’s our request to all the males to do understand every woman’s problem and help them.
Dealing with pcos is not less then dealing with any other chronic disease. PCOS women face irregular menses and lot more.
Trust us diet plays a huge role in dealing with PCOS.
Diet could help to reduce the problem of PCOS by 70%. PCOS is mostly seen in obese and overweight women.Therefore a woman with PCOS needs to control or maintain her weight for a normal hormonal balance and normal periods.
14 Dietary tips for PCOS
- Avoid sugar and sugary items as much as possible since women with PCOS have a higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Low GI(Glycemic Index) diet up to 80%, can improve menstrual cycle regularity and ovulation within six months.
- Even a small difference in weight can show better hormonal results especially resumption of normal menses.
- Increase fiber intake, example whole wheat flour, ragi flour, green leafy vegetables, beans, peas, sprouts, etc.
- Dairy products: Low fat milk, cottage cheese and curd should be included in the daily diet.
- Small 5-6 meals pattern should be followed.
- Avoid liquids with lot of sugar, salt and caffeine. Include liquids like lemon water, buttermilk, tender coconut water, green tea, soup,etc.
- Include foods low in fat especially saturated fats.
- Take more of antioxidants in the form of fruits and vegetables.
- Also reduce the amount of salt used in food especially table salt.
- Reduce intake of caffeine, especially in the form of fizzy drinks as they are empty calories.
- Avoid packaged foods especially pre-prepared foods such as packaged oats, gravies, Chinese items.
- Avoid spreads such as cheese spread, ketchups, mayonnaise and other flavoured sauces.
- Physical activity of about 30-40 minutes everyday
Diet and exercise need to be tailored to the individual’s needs and preferences, and should be done under professional guidance.